Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Just another day

As an update to my previous post. I found out that the patient had died of an aortic dissection. If you don't know what an aortic dissection is I will explain briefly. Your blood vessels and arteries have several different layers. Overtime blood starts to get in between those layers, and eventually breaks/busts the artery and you start bleeding internally. So as a result there was nothing that me or the crew I was with could have done. The man needed surgery and by that time we got there it was too late. Knowing what he died of and knowing that there was definitely nothing that I could have done to save him it makes me feel better, however. The call still bothers me and makes me upset because it's my job to save people and/or make a difference in their life and on this call I couldn't. Yes it's part of the job and it's a hard part of it.

Also on a different note. Public safety education is great and there are people out there who do a great job, a really great job actually, of teaching people safety (ex. Lewisville LAFS clowns). It has come to me that while people are being taught safety and to call 911 in an emergency, that they are not really being taught what an emergency is. Ex. "I called you because I haven't been able to go to the bathroom in a few days." While yes that is a problem that needs to be taken care of, and I don't mind running you up to the hospital as that's what I am here for, what it doesn't need is the EMS and fire departments to be running lights and sirens and putting them at risk of a serious accident. I just would love to see education on what deserves a call to 911. And now I am stepping of my soap box.

No comments: